Friends of Hempstead Plains
Groundbreaking For Education And Research Center
On July 29, 2013, a brilliant blue sky welcomed a crowd of Dignitaries, Friends of Hempstead Plains, Nassau Community College administrators, County representatives and loyal volunteers participating in the festivities of the groundbreaking ceremony. Led by County Executive Ed Mangano, the Friends’ Board of Directors dug their shovels into the ground, lifted the earth, and the long-awaited dream became a reality.
Friends of Hempstead Plains at Nassau Community College is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the Hempstead Plains and to offering educational programs about this special and rapidly vanishing ecological and historical habitat.
Friends of Hempstead Plains at Nassau Community College, Inc. was formed in 2001, dedicated to the perpetual preservation, restoration and management of the site through scientific research and education.
Our goals and objectives are to:
• Protect the land ~ prevent further destruction of critical habitat and promote compatible development in the surrounding area.
• Restore the ecological habitat ~ restore the prairie grassland that once covered the area and rare species that depend on it.
• Promote and provide assistance for good stewardship of the land.
• Develop educational programs ~ offer environmental education for the community and coordinate educational opportunities for students of all ages.
• Promote research by college faculty and students.
• Encourage community involvement in restoration and management practices.
Directions: From Meadowbrook Parkway take Exit M4 to Charles Lindbergh Blvd. Or from Merrick Ave., turn west on Charles Lindbergh Blvd. (between Hempstead Ave. and Stewart Ave.) Follow Charles Lindbergh Blvd. to NCC East Campus. Turn Right into East Campus. See Hempstead Plains at first intersection. Turn right into Hempstead Plains parking area.
NEW TEMPORARY ENTRANCE FOR HEMPSTEAD PLAINS VISITORS
Due to construction of our Education and Research Center, please enter the plains at the gate around the corner on perimeter Rd.
UPCOMING EVENTS: fall 2013
FRIDAY AFTERNOON WALKS AT THE HEMPSTEAD PLAINS
Sept. 6 and 27, Oct. 4, 11, and 25, Nov. 8.
WEEKEND VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY WORKDAYS
Saturdays from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Sept. 7 and 28, Oct. 5, 12, and 26, Nov. 9