Friends of Hempstead Plains
Friends of Hempstead Plains at Nassau Community College is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and restoration of the Hempstead Plains and to offering educational programs about this special and rapidly vanishing ecological and historical habitat.
Friends of Hempstead Plains at Nassau Community College, Inc. was formed in 2001, dedicated to the perpetual preservation, restoration and management of the site through scientific research and education.
Our goals and objectives are to:
• Protect the land ~ prevent further destruction of critical habitat and promote compatible development in the surrounding area.
• Restore the ecological habitat ~ restore the prairie grassland that once covered the area and rare species that depend on it.
• Promote and provide assistance for good stewardship of the land.
• Develop educational programs ~ offer environmental education for the community and coordinate educational opportunities for students of all ages.
• Promote research by college faculty and students.
• Encourage community involvement in restoration and management practices.
NEW ENTRANCE AND PARKING FOR HEMPSTEAD PLAINS VISITORS
Directions: From Meadowbrook Parkway take Exit M4 to Charles Lindbergh Blvd. Or from Merrick Ave., turn west on Charles Lindbergh Blvd. (between Hempstead Ave. and Stewart Ave.) Follow Charles Lindbergh Blvd. to NCC East Campus. Turn Right into East Campus. See Hempstead Plains at first intersection. Turn right into Hempstead Plains parking area.
UPCOMING EVENTS: 2013
FRIDAY AFTERNOON WALKS AT THE HEMPSTEAD PLAINS
April 19, May 3, 17 and 31, June 14, and 28, July 12
WEEKEND VOLUNTEER COMMUNITY WORKDAYS
Saturdays from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM
April 20, May 4 and 18, June 1, 15 and 29, July 13